Skip to content

The Move

March 17, 2010

I am officially moving this blog to its new home: parallax.joshpeltier.com. If you enjoy homebrewing, I hope you will continue to follow me, help me out with your comments, and maybe even learn a thing or two.

Advertisements

Kegerator Faucet Installation

March 8, 2010

I bought a kegerator setup from Jeff at kegcowboy.com. It was really easy to install, and works great!

Honey Deweizen

March 2, 2010

My latest brew is the honey weizen extract kit from Northern Brewer. I brewed it up in my partially converted keggle (eventually going to be electric)! The recipe is pretty simple, 6lbs of wheat malt extract, 1lbs of honey, and 1oz of tettnang hops (60min). To spice it up, I added 1/2lbs of candi sugar at 30 minutes. Once everything was cooled down, I pitched a pack of Wyeast 1010 American Wheat Yeast. I hope I pitched enough, it has not been bubbling too much. OG read at 1.070 (seems a little high), checked last night at it was at about 1.035. The bugs seem to be working, just very slowly.

Creme de la Cream

February 19, 2010

creme de la cream label

This is the label I came up with for my cream ale. Yes, my first beer; yes, an extract; but I just couldn’t help myself (I know it is a little arrogant, but one of these days I hope to brew it to deserve the name). Let me know what you think. This is the Cream Ale from Norther Brewer I wrote about here. Please leave a comment if you have any suggestions!


How to Polish a Keg | Part I

February 18, 2010

I have purchased two sanke kegs and a pony keg for my kettle, MLT, and primary fermenter. To get them looking up to snuff, I have decided to clean them up a bit. This is part one of the process. I found the original idea in a post by Bobby M at homebrewtalk.com.

Northern Brewer Cream Ale

February 7, 2010

I ordered my first two extract recipe kits from Northern Brewer last week and they arrived on my doorstep on Friday. Needless to say, I was pretty excited. I have been reading about brewing for so long, I really needed to get my first brew under my belt.

Of course, I had my box, so the first thing I had to do was open everything inside. I have to say, I was really impressed with the way Northern Brewer packages their kits, very well done. Looking at the box and ingredients was not enough, so I went ahead and smacked the nutrient package in my Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast. I knew I would want to brew Saturday, and it is good to do this ahead of brew day to ensure that the yeast is alive and healthy. My bag started swelling within a few minutes, so I knew mine were ready to work.

Saturday evening I finally had a chance to begin my first brew. The first thing I did was sanitize the bejezus out of everything that I would use to brew using Star San. Then I filled up my boil pot with water and added the grain-bag. This steeped for about 20 minutes. I was really surprised how good it smelled, I was not sure what to expect, but it was very pleasant. Once steeped, I discarded the bag and added my extract and began to boil. I started on my outside grill burner, but it didn’t put out enough heat, so into the kitchen. Finailly at a rolling boil, I added my hops after the hot break. I only had one boilover, due to my being on the phone with a local supplier, setting up a purchase for my sankey keg coupler (for use on my pony keg fermenter).

After the boil, I cooled my wort in an ice bath. Thinking I was smart, I added some cold filtered water, only to realize immediately afterwards that I had inadvertently been aerating. To hopefully reduce the chance of contamination, I went ahead and boiled the wort again (hopefully I didn’t oxidize it too much). After this, I returned the pot to the ice bath and had it cooled in about 25 minutes.

Now cooled, I transfered the wort to my fermenter. I used a sanitized kitchen strainer to filter out the hops and other sediments. It took a while, as the disintegrated pellet hops kept completely clogging the strainer. Once complete, I put the fermenter in my extra bathtub with a blowoff hose in a bucket of sanitizer.

There it still sits. I cannot wait to rack it to a corny keg for secondary fermentation. Once it has conditioned for another week or two, I am just going to hook the corny up and serve!

Throughout the process, I made a few rookie mistakes, so I really hope that it turns out well. It is my first attempt, so I will not be too upset if it doesn’t turn out fantastic.